Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Germans Invade Spain (In Speedos)

So anyone who is closely following this blog can realize that I haven't posted anything in two weeks, but I have some valid reasons. I have essentially been in Germany the last 2 weekends. The reason I say essentially is because I did in fact go to Munich Germany 2 weeks ago for Oktoberfest, yet, this past weekend I went to Mallorca, Spain which, if you went there knowing nothing about this island off of the east coast of the country, you would think you were in a different version of Germany with a beach. Let me slow down.
Oktoberfest in Germany was an unbelievable experience. The atmosphere of being in one of the beer gardens is unbelievable in the sense that you are surounded by 2,000 people from all over the world who want nothing more than to be in good spirits and drink very good beer. I went to Munich with a large group of friends from Denison which really made it a blast because it is probably very easy to be overwhelemed at Oktoberfest if your with a small group, or people you don't know, since everyone is drinking and screaming out songs such as "Heeeeeey, hey baby (ooo ahhh) I wanna know....if you'll be my girl" and others all day long. A very fun weekend overall that left me wanting to go back before I even got on my flight back to Madrid.
Now to Mallorca, where I just returned home from yesterday. This island off of the east coast of Spain is absoultely beautiful. However, it is a VERY popular tourist attraction for Germans, and not even in the sense that a lot go there, but literally restraunts and stores that advertise their sales in German, have menu's primarily in German, and German songs all the time. But the location was beautiful and our hotel was 200 yards from the beach in Palma de Mallorca, so everything was just fine. I guess the only annoying part was trying to use Spanish to order things and being answered in either English or some German accented English Also located there is what is renowned as "Europes finest aquarium" which actually turned out to be a lot of fun on our last day there, with some enormous sharks and a giant sea turtle.
The last two weeks have been very busy, but both were a great opportunity to get outside of Granada for a little bit and see some very interesing and beautiful parts of the world. However, I'm pleased to say that I am still reminded of how great this city is whenever I travel because I there are really so many awesome things about where I live (maybe #1 is how inexpensive it is here). More to come, and thanks to whoever has been following, I will attempt to be more consistent!

No comments:

Post a Comment