Sunday, September 6, 2009

One Week in the Bag

I have only been in Spain for one week and I am thoroughly optimistic about what is to come. Although I’ve only had 2 days of class (last Thursday and Friday), I think that finding the balance between experiencing nightlife and staying studious will be very easy to adjust to, just like when you start college your freshman year. On my first day of classes I met some people both in my class and in other classes that had been talking to friends in my program. My first Friday night here consisted of hanging out with these people as well as a few from my Arcadia program. I was fortunate enough to get my first clubbing experience in at a place called Kapital where we didn’t have to pay a cover charge, and there were more ripped jeans and popped collars on guys than you could even imagine. One of the interesting things that I’ve realized in my first week is that there is a ton of popular American music played at clubs and bars and what not, and all the Spanish people sing along. At a place we went on Thursday, where they played techno stuff with popular songs mixed in, they would play New York, New York by Frank Sinatra, the part where it says “I want to wake up in a city that doesn’t sleep.” It was hilarious and actually really cool to hear and watch Spanish people sing.
Yesterday, Saturday, was another day at the beach with a smaller group and more kids from a Bucknell program and others. This time we went exploring to find some cliffs to jump off of and were very successful. It was one of the more fun things I have done in a while. While exploring we found this cove where 10-15 Spanish guys were all jumping off of what looked like 40 feet up, into crystal clear water. These guys were nuts though, doing swan dives and what not. As a result of being in the sun all day long, Saturday evening was not as intense, and involved some light food and then my first opportunity to sleep for more than 5 hours, which felt amazing. Sunday is now here, I’m touring the Albaicin today with my group, should be very cool. Then finding time to do my official first bit of homework. One week down, 14 more to go….

No comments:

Post a Comment