Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekend in Madrid

This past weekend I got on a 5 hr. bus to Madrid for La Noche en Blanco to experience big city life in Spain and see my friend Tanner from Denison. The one thing we tried to do the most in Madrid was save money where we could, which explains the homemade turkey and cheese sandwiches that we inhaled in our hostel both nights before we went out. The first night was quite an experience going to club Kapital, which painfully cost us 18 euro just to get into. However, the club had something like 7 stories, all with a different theme and music, It was pretty unbelievable. During the day on Saturday a few people went to the Prado art museum and we saw some unbelievable paintings from Goya, El Greco, Frenando Velasquez, and Rafael. It was cool to see a lot of these works up close because I’ve seen / done projects on several of them in Spanish classes in the past. The second evening in Madrid was Noche en Blanco where the majority of streets were absolutely covered with people, literally building to building. The group we were with was rather large and a lot of the night consisted of attempting to find people which was a bummer, but overall a fun experience in the countries capital. However, I did walk away realizing that Granada is definitely a lot more fun and MUCH more inexpensive….I’m happy with my location choice still and am looking forward to my friend Tanner from Denison coming down with some friends this weekend so I can play tour guide and attempt to show off the NADA the best that I can. More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Kapital rules but it is definitely not something you want to do every weekend. You didn't mention that even though it's 18euros to get in, the drinks are 8 euros apiece. At least that was the going rate when I lived there many years ago.

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete